Boğaziçi University protests: 10 people placed under house arrest

  • actual
  • 10:40 3 February 2021
  • |
img
İSTANBUL - Detained for the second time for joining the protests against the appointed rector of Boğaziçi University, 10 people have been placed under house arrest.
 
After the police detained 159 people for participating in the protests against the appointment of Melih Bulu as a rector to Boğaziçi University, 10 people were taken into custody again yesterday (February 2). After they gave their statements at the prosecutor's office, they were referred to the Penal Judgeship of Peace on Duty with a request for their house arrest.
 
According to the social media post of the Progressive Lawyers Association (ÇHD) İstanbul Branch, 10 people have been placed under house arrest without standing before the penal judgeship of peace.
 
In a previous post yesterday, the ÇHD İstanbul Branch announced that a detention warrant was issued against 10 people who had been released one day before. These people were reportedly held in the Counterterrorism Branch of the security directorate. At around 7 p.m. yesterday, the ÇHD said that 10 people were referred to the judgeship for house arrest.
 
PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE: 98 PEOPLE RELEASED
 
In a statement released by the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office, it was said that "of the 108 suspects who violated the law no. 2911 on meetings and demonstrations by attending illegal demonstrations organized by some groups and refusing to disperse despite warnings, 98 were released after they gave their statements at the law enforcement offices."
 
It noted that "the statements of 10 suspects were taken by the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office and the imposition of a judicial control measure in the form of not leaving the residence was requested for them." The İstanbul Penal Judgeship of Peace on Duty has ruled that these 10 people shall be placed under house arrest, according to the statement.
 
The office has also announced that the proceedings against 51 people who were detained "on charges of depriving a person of his or her liberty, damaging public property and violating the law no. 2911 are still ongoing." These people allegedly "surrounded the Rector's Office at the campus and prevented the rectorate personnel from leaving the building."

View More Articles

12/05/2022
15:01 Kurdish singer Xalîde detained in Istanbul
14:56 Journalist Aydın: Disagreements started within KDP
14:33 Sergeant who said Turkish army can not advance in operation against Kurds, relocated
14:29 Remains of Naim Sönmez released to his family 4 years later
14:28 Governor who witnessed the Şenyaşar Massacre, demoted back to Ankara!
12:11 Lawyers of Öcalan submit new application for a meeting with their client
12:10 Turkish chopper hit in Zap
11:54 Lawyers of Öcalan applies to Constitutional Court regarding ban on family visits
11:54 Seriously ill prisoner 83-year-old Özkan hospitalised twice
11:52 Military mobility in Lice, Diyarbakır
11:51 Turkish warplanes shelled Shehba and Eyn İsa
11/05/2022
16:48 Barzani targeted Shengal
15:58 Ban on entry to villages of Mount Cudi
15:46 Iran bombed Biradost and Balekayeti
15:44 ‘The border line is fenced with razor wire, trenches are being dug
15:31 SMJÊ: Only women can end the persecution of Yazidis
12:52 The operation in Besta started with woodchopping
12:51 Şenyaşar family: We don't accept what the President said
12:06 Legal application against PKK ban in Germany
12:01 Ministry of Justice did not respond to application regarding Öcalan
10:51 Drone attack against Kobanê
10/05/2022
16:59 Berwari: Turkey will not advance an inch if assistance is not provided
16:31 Mazloum Abdi: We will liberate Afrin and all the occupied lands with its people
16:16 A child injured by Turkish bullet coming from Serêkaniyê lost his life
14:54 Gezi Protests statement from 888 citizens: We are turning ourselves in
14:30 Lawyers of Öcalan submit new application for a meeting with their client
14:26 A note containing 'JİTEM' was left in HDP building, police claimed it was a child's prank
13:59 Court rejects 'house arrest' for 80-year-old Özer, sent him to prison
11:58 Former peshmerga: Federated Kurdistan faces the same fate with Afrin
11:50 Rangers were sent to front dressed as 'shepherds'
11:46 Politician Ebdulxalik: Turkey is now in a position of an invader
09/05/2022
15:30 Mehmet Öcalan: The ban is linked to Turkish cross border operations
14:29 Şenyaşar family calls on the witnesses to speak up
14:00 8 Turkish soldiers lost their lives in Marînus, one soldier is missing
13:57 Military build-up continues on the border
11:51 Shengalî: KDP's special war policies are put in effect
11:02 Zap syndrome: Special sergeants started to desert their posts
10:55 People of Kûtos village displaced by Turkish soldiers
07/05/2022
16:46 YPG member who first reached Shengal in 2014: We saw thousands of peshmerga flee
16:44 Armed Conflict in Cudi disrupted the Zap plan
16:42 Şenyaşar family: Misgovernment is a disaster
13:47 Anna Campbell's family goes to ECtHR for Anna's body held in Afrin
11:34 Öcalan was given a 6-month ban on attorneys'visit again
10:26 Shehba and Afrin shelled by Turkey
06/05/2022
15:34 New application submitted by Öcalan's family and legal guardian
13:15 Şenyaşar family's sit-in continues on day 424
13:07 10 specialised sergeants demoralised due to Turkey's war across border, resigned
12:27 Yazidis return to Shengal despite KDP's interventions
12:26 TAJÊ: Women will not allow invasion
10:50 7 prisoners on hunger strike for 15 days in Kilis Prison