Colleagues of Müftüoğlu, who was not released: Revenge is being taken

  • actual
  • 11:59 19 January 2024
  • |
img

AMED - Reacting to the fact that imprisoned journalist Dicle Müftüoğlu was not released, her colleagues said " they are taking revenge" and called for solidarity for the hearing to be held on February 29.

It was decided to continue the imprisonment of Dicle Fırat Journalists Association (DFG) Co-chair and MA editor Dicle Müftüoğlu, who has been held in Ankara Sincan Women's Prison for about 9 months, in her second hearing yesterday. Her colleagues reacted to the fact that Müftüoğlu, who was tried on charges of "being a member of a terrorist organization" and "leading a terrorist organization" due to her professional activities, was not released.
 
A LEGAL ODD
 
Stating that the Constitution has been suspended, Confederation of Revolutionary Trade Unions (DİSK) Press Business Chair Turgut Dedeoğlu said that many unlawful acts occurred at the hearing. Dedeoğlu said: “Our friend was not released again due to arbitrary reasons. You arrest a journalist on World Press Freedom Day and imprison her for 9 months. However, you release other journalists you recruited in the same investigation. Isn't there a legal quirk here?" 
 
'OUR PROFESSION IS BEING JUDGED'
 
Pointing out that the profession of journalism is essentially being judged in the person of journalists, Dedeoğlu said: "Our profession is being judged here, “Our profession is being dominated and made into captivity.” 
 
Criticizing the lack of sensitivity of their colleagues in the West to the cases of Kurdish journalists, Dedeoğlu said that the existing silence was reflected in the court decisions. Dedeoğlu continued: “The attention of the world press needs to be drawn to this region. Courts can easily make arbitrary decisions. For example, if we had been able to gather IFJ, EFJ and other press organizations from around the world here, and if other unions had come in larger numbers, the judge's decision would have been different. Because not just one person is being judged here, but the profession is being judged. We must cherish the profession of journalism. The profession of journalism is a public profession. If we do this profession with fear and intimidation, we cannot convey the truth to the public." 
 
'REVENGE IS BEING TAKEN ON THE FREE PRESS'
 
Nurcan Yalçın, a member of the Mezopotamya Women Journalists Association (MKG), also stated that the picture that emerged at the hearing revealed the stage of press freedom in Turkey. Reacting to the fact that the release decision was not given despite the refutation of witness statements, Yalçın said: “This hearing is a clear example that the arrest of journalists does not depend on evidence or witnesses. Dicle's imprisonment is now an act of revenge against the Free Press. As her friends, we state that Dicle is not alone. We will continue to demonstrate our stance against this unlawfulness in the coming period. We invite everyone to attend the hearing on February 29.”
 

View More Articles

18/03/2025
17:00 Ömar Öcalan: We will close door to war
16:46 Shelling around Tishreen Dam
16:23 Newroz in Amed districts
16:05 Qoser Newroz: Kurds want to hear Öcalan's voice
15:40 Silopiya Newroz: Let's embrace new life manifesto
15:19 Support for historic call at Colemêrg Newroz
14:41 Campaign to send money to prisoners continues
13:47 Freedom Newroz in Agirî: This process cannot be one-sided
13:42 DEM Party applies to meet Abdullah Öcalan
12:46 Öcalan posters in Qoser
12:46 Syria cannot be governed from a single centre says Aldar Khalil
11:48 Lawyers applies to meet with Abdullah Öcalan
11:41 63 people killed in Syria in 24 hours
11:34 Leila Khalid hospitalised
11:27 Abdullah Öcalan: Process will be the renaissance of Yazidis
10:05 Prisoners beaten in Van Prison
17/03/2025
17:02 Newroz in Misirc after 11 years
16:59 Historic call echoes in Manisa Newroz
16:49 Women lit Newroz fire in Hezex: Öcalan must be free
16:23 Öztürk to the government: You are sabotaging the process
15:56 Colourful Newroz celebration in Idir
15:35 HPG downs drone over Qandil
15:15 Newroz in Serhat: State must take steps
15:06 Newroz in Sêwereg, demand for freedom of Öcalan
14:26 Euphrates Canton cancel demonstrations due to Barkh Botan massacre
14:02 Relatives of family murdered in Kobani: Turkey must be held accountable
13:07 First ISIS and now Turkey massacre in Barkh Botan
12:16 SDF: Turkish occupation committed horrific massacre
11:54 Turkey deports journalist Chris Den Hond
09:59 We must participate in process with spirit of comrades Zilan and Mazlum says Prisoner Uyar
09:12 Pressure increased after call, prisoners warned of provocation
09:11 Peace Mother Durri Kaygusuz: Enough is enough, it's state's turn
08:21 Turkish drone attack on Kobani: A family massacred
16/03/2025
17:08 Halabja Massacre commemoration in many cities
15:41 Prison doors must be opened for an honourable peace says DBP Co-chair Bayindir
13:12 Commemoration in Halabja starts
12:47 16 people killed in explosion in Latakia
12:01 Participants in public meetings: The state must also take step
10:33 Newroz celebration in more than 100 centres in Europe
10:09 Violations experienced by imprisoned journalists
09:23 Alawite citizen living in Syria: We want international protection
14/03/2025
16:19 Popular Initiative condemned massacre of Alevis
15:48 Newroz fire lit in Curnê Reş: We will grow democratic politics
15:11 Newroz in Mazlum Dogan's hometown: Öcalan's freedom must be ensured
14:07 SDC rejects the interim government's constitutional declaration
14:03 Rejection of appeal against preventing of Mehmet Sait Yıldırım's release
11:02 Families applies to go to İmralı
10:02 9 years passed since curfew in Şirnex: Wounds still unhealed
09:04 Ill prisoners must be released says TTB Central Council Member
13/03/2025
17:01 Zenubiya Women's Community: Perpatrators of Alevi massacre must be prosecuted