Journalist Mehmûd says attacks target common life

  • actual
  • 12:41 30 October 2024
  • |
img

RIHA - Turkey is committing war crimes by targeting settlements in northern and eastern Syria, “All excuses are empty. The people who are building a common life here are being targeted,” journalist Şervan Mehmûd said.  

The attacks launched by Turkey against Northern and Eastern Syria on October 23 continue. According to the Syrian Democratic Council (MSD), 27 people were killed and 48 were injured in the attacks. The Press Liaison Center of the Internal Security Forces also reported that Turkey launched 685 attacks on the region with warplanes and artillery shelling. Factories, oil offices, water and electricity production sites were among the targets.
 
Şervan Mehmûd, a journalist in Northern and Eastern Syria, commented on the attacks and the latest situation in the region. Stating that the timing of Turkey's attacks is striking, Şervan Mehmûd reminded that the region was also targeted after the protests organized during the “Freedom for Abdullah Öcalan and democratic solution to the Kurdish issue” campaign launched last year. 
“For a year, there was a great resistance in all 4 parts of Kurdistan to end the isolation. The people in Rojava also put up a great struggle against isolation. As a result of this resistance, Leader Öcalan had a meeting with Ömer Öcalan, a member of his family. Even this meeting alone has given great hope to the Kurdish people. We can see from the first words of Leader Öcalan that he is still waging a great struggle for peace. Despite this, Turkey organized genocidal attacks on Rojava,” Şervan Mehmûd said. 
 
'WAR CRIMES ARE BEING COMMITTED'
 
Şervan Mehmûd stated that the Autonomous Administration is the solution to the problems of the people and this is the main reason for the attacks. Pointing out that the areas where the basic needs of the people are met in civilian settlements are targeted, Şervan Mehmûd noted that war crimes are committed with the attacks. “A massacre is being imposed on a population of 6 million people living in Northern and Eastern Syria. There is a war in front of the eyes of the whole world. There is a reaction to Israel's attacks on Palestine and Lebanon, but there is silence against the attacks here,” he said.   
 
'COMMON LIFE IS BEING TARGETED' 
 
Pointing out that Kurds, Arabs, Turkmens, Armenians and Assyrians live together in Northern and Eastern Syria, Şervan Mehmûd said: “These attacks are not the first time. These peoples have faced many similar attacks before. Turkey wants to change the demography with these attacks and continues this plan of change. Turkey has put forward many excuses for the attacks. But all of them turn out to be lies and hollow. Here, the peoples who are building a common life are being targeted. For example, 7 Arab citizens were martyred in an oil office targeted in Sewedê. This shows that Turkey is in a genocide plan not only against Kurds but also against all peoples who embrace the Rojava Revolution.” 
 
PEOPLE'S RESISTANCE  
 
Saying that hundreds of thousands stood up against the attacks, Şervan Mehmûd continued as follows: “Peoples have always known how to give the same response to these attacks. The peoples once again sent the message that they will never be separated from their history, culture and homeland. Production and education continue in the autonomous administration in the midst of war. This will continue to be the case from now on. Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets against the attacks, chanting slogans such as 'Resistance or resistance'.” 
 
MA / Ceylan Şahinli
 

View More Articles

15/01/2025
09:32 Concrete steps must be taken to solve the Kurdish issue says Lawyer Gülizar Tuncer
14/01/2025
16:56 Trustee protest in Êlih
15:47 Protests against the attacks in North and East Syria
15:18 Prisoner with heart disease: No medication, left to die
15:07 Either you choose democratic solution or you cease to be an interlocutor says Keskin Bayındır
14:55 İmralı gates must be opened says Tuncer Bakırhan
14:30 Singer Kasım Taşdoğan sentenced for Kurdish song
13:30 7th day of vigil at Tishreen Dam
11:43 Two separate applications from lawyers
11:01 No news from detained kolbars
09:14 Language and mindset of government must change for process says Kocabıyık
08:24 Peyas Co-Mayor Dündar releases
13/01/2025
22:10 Release decision for Cengiz Dündar, Co-Mayor of Peyas Municipality
21:56 Police attack on trustee protest in Akdeniz: Mass break blockade
21:37 Öcalan prioritises Kurdish security as much as Kurdish freedom says Sırrı Süreyya Önder
08:52 Beşiktaş Municipality mayor Akpolat detained
08:15 Trustee appointed to Akdeniz Municipality
11/01/2025
16:59 Call from Nargis Mohammadi for Pexshan Ezîzî
16:51 Lay murdered journalists to rest in Qamishlo
16:33 Trustee protest: If solution desired, it must be approched seriously
15:33 Shelling around Tishreen Dam
14:47 Wan Peace Mothers Assembly: Abdullah Öcalan is source of solution
14:29 Resistance in front of Akdeniz Municipality continues on it's 2nd day
14:29 Turkey's military deployment to Amêdiye continues
14:15 Two exemplary neighbourhoods illuminating Syria's darkness
13:54 Call against death penalty: Don't be partner in crime
13:00 We will do our part for process says SYKP Co-chair Titiz
11:51 They call in front of Akdeniz Municipality: Give up this unlawful behaviour
11:00 'Non-solution has produced weapons'
10:21 Everyone must shoulder responsibility says KESK Co-Chair Ayfer Koçak
09:22 Specialised sergeant suspected in death of Havin Aşkan
09:14 Solution will be with Abdullah Öcalan says DAD co-chair Zeynel Kete
09:10 CHP's stance insufficient, may step in with complementary proposals says Ali Bayramoğlu
10/01/2025
16:30 Sentenced with an over-age penalty: Releases after 30 years
16:29 'There can be no process without Öcalan's freedom, weapons are not obstacle to solution'
16:22 Peoples flock to Tishreen Dam
14:30 Attacks on North and East Syria continue
14:14 Gar massacre commemoration: Struggle for justice will continue
14:07 Abdullah Öcalan must be freed for the process says KKP Spokeperson
11:35 Families appeals to go to İmralı
11:32 Working Journalists' Day: There is an attempt on our lives
11:32 People gather in front of Akdeniz Municipality
10:24 Threat to ill prisoner whose belongings confiscated
10:11 'Alawites are subjected to a 'special' genocide'
09:24 Abdullah Öcalan must be given equal conditions like Mandela says Lawyer Kanar
08:51 DEM Party co-mayors detained, municipality under blockade
09/01/2025
17:11 Leyla Şaylemez commemorated: We will not give up women's liberationist paradigm
15:47 Delegation march Silopiya: Their cameras will not stay on the ground
15:33 Fidan Doğan commemorated at her grave
15:19 Journalist Selamet Turan sentenced and releases